Friday, November 18, 2011

Molly makes...a stenciled wall


I am really into graphic wallpaper. I was considering this for our master bedroom but was worried about wallpaper. I have never put up wallpaper, and the only thing I remember about taking down wallpaper is that it is a mess and takes forever.

My sister and I helping to take down the wallpaper, in our Sunday best! Apparently, polka dots were all the rage!

So, I found these stencils you can use to create the same look. Except, in a few years if your taste changes, you can just paint over it! I found this website with awesome stencils here, http://www.cuttingedgestencils.com/

I chose the stencil below, called Zagora. The stencils range from about $30-50.


Here is what you will need:

  • your stencil
  • paint (most likely 2 colors or you can do the same color in flat and glossy for a more subtle look)
  • spray adhesive (optional)
  • painters tape
  • small roller
Here's how to make it:

  • Tape the room up!
  • First paint the room with the background color. This depends on your particular stencil, in our case  we first had to paint the walls the color we wanted the outlines to be. (White)
  • Allow a day to dry.
  • Now, start in a upper corner with your stencil. You can either tape it to the wall or use spray adhesive. To use the spray adhesive, apply to backside of stencil and allow to air dry 30 seconds before adhering to wall. We tried both and preferred to tape it. 
  • Take roller and paint over stencil. Make sure you don't have too much paint on your roller. 
  • Pull stencil off wall and advance either below or next to current section. Be sure the stencil overlaps slightly over the painted section. 
  • There is a nice instructional video here: http://www.cuttingedgestencils.com/how-to-stencil-videos.html
  • If you buy your stencil from this company, they give you a few smaller stencils that you will need to finish on corners and near the ceiling and floor.
Another view of the wall. 

    My stencil below. It has been out in the garage for a couple weeks now so it is a bit wavy. 


    Up close shot of the wall.
    Molly makes...a few confessions
    • This process is tedious and can be time consuming.
    • I would do it again but I'm not sure if my husband would agree with that.
    • We did 2 large walls, my sister also used a stencil on one wall in her bedroom and seemed less frustrated.


    1 comment:

    1. Oh my goodness! When I saw the pics of your house, I totally thought this was wallpaper! I'm impressed!

      ReplyDelete